Friday, May 8, 2009

Friday Soundings 5/8

Paul Butterfield Blues Band - Everything's Gonna Be All Right, It Hurts Me Too, Piney Brown Blues, That's All Right

Two cuts from a fine Putamayo CD, New Orleans Brass
Bob French's Original Tuxedo Jazz Band, with vocalist Leon "Kid Chocolate" Brown - St. James Infirmary Blues
The Dirty Dozen Brass Band with Dr. John - It's All Over Now (the song that was the Rolling Stones' first #1 hit in England)

Shauna Lee (from Ketchikan!) - Since I Fell for You
Ranee Lee - from the CD Jazz on Broadway - I'm Flying (from Peter Pan), All I Ask of You (from Phantom of the Opera)

Jon Faddis - Reckless Blues (one of Bessie Smith's signature songs, sung here by Vivian Cherry), Forevermore

Insomniacs - Lonesome, Directly from My Heart to You (Little Richard), At Least I'm Not Here with You

Robben Ford and the Blue Line - My Love for You Will Never Die (Otis Rush)
Studebaker John and the Hawks - Ride, Ride, Ride

Shauna Lee - Stormy Weather, Unchained Melody (the Righteous Bros. hit)
Sarah Brightman - If I Ever Fall in Love Again (from the forgotten British musical A Crooked Mile)

Davis Gaines - Someone Else's Story (from the musical Chess, cowritten by Benny Andersson and Bjorn Ulvaeus, formerly of ABBA, and Tim Rice); Old Man River (from Showboat, by Kern and Hammerstein)

No comments: