Monday, May 18, 2009

A Little Bit of Broadway

Sunday, May 17, 2009

NEXT TO NORMAL
The Tony Awards countdown continues!

We continue our listen to the Tony nominated shows this week with Next to Normal. Called a rock musical, this is the story of a woman who struggles with worsening bipolar disorder and explores the effect not only herself but her family. As part of that effect, the show also touches on grieving, suicide, drug abuse, and ethics in modern psychiatry.

This musical (which at times sounds very much like The Who’s Tommy) has gotten consistently good reviews and has been nominated for 11 Tonys. It seems to inhabit the same sort of dark place that Spring Awakening did 2 years ago – good music and great performances in a very dark and disturbing story. I expect this is one of those musicals you need to see, not just listen to.

Act I
• Prelude
• Just Another Day – Diana, Natalie, Gabe, Dan
• Everything Else – Natalie
• Who's Crazy/My Psychopharmacologist and I – Dan, Doctor Fine, Diana, Ensemble
• Perfect for You – Henry, Natalie
• I Miss the Mountains – Diana
• It's Gonna Be Good – Dan, Natalie, Gabe, Henry, Ensemble
• He's Not Here – Dan
• You Don't Know – Diana
• I Am the One – Dan, Gabe, Diana
• Superboy and the Invisible Girl – Natalie, Diana, Gabe
• I'm Alive – Gabe
• Make Up Your Mind/Catch Me I'm Falling – Doctor Madden, Diana, Dan, Natalie, Gabe
• I Dreamed a Dance – Diana, Gabe
• There's a World – Gabe
• I've Been – Dan
• Didn't I See This Movie? – Diana
• A Light in the Dark – Dan, Diana
Act II
• Wish I Were Here – Diana, Natalie
• Song of Forgetting – Dan, Diana, Natalie
• Hey #1 – Henry, Natalie
• Seconds and Years – Doctor Madden, Dan, Diana
• Better Than Before – Doctor Madden, Dan, Natalie, Diana
• Aftershocks – Gabe
• Hey #2 – Henry, Natalie
• You Don't Know (Reprise) – Diana, Doctor Madden
• How Could I Ever Forget? – Diana, Dan
• It's Gonna Be Good (Reprise) – Dan, Diana
• Why Stay?/A Promise – Diana, Natalie, Dan, Henry
• I'm Alive (Reprise) – Gabe
• The Break – Diana
• Make Up Your Mind/Catch Me I'm Falling (Reprise) – Doctor Madden, Diana, Gabe
• Maybe (Next to Normal) – Diana, Natalie
• Hey #3/Perfect for You (Reprise) – Henry, Natalie
• So Anyway – Diana
• I Am the One (Reprise) – Dan, Gabe
• Light – Diana, Dan, Natalie, Gabe, Henry, Doctor Madden

Music Tom Kitt
Lyrics Brian Yorkey
Book Brian Yorkey

Diana Goodman Alice Ripley
Dan Goodman J. Robert Spencer
Gabriel Goodman Aaron Tveit
Natalie Goodman Jennifer Damiano
Henry Adam Chanler-Berat
Dr. Madden/Dr. Fine Louis Hobson


Read more about the show here

No comments: