Friday, July 24, 2009

Friday Soundings 7/24

Host - John Gaguine

Gladys Knight (of Gladys Knight and the Pips fame) - Since I Fell for You, This Bitter Earth, I'll Be Seeing You - all from a 2006 CD, Before Me

Gladys Knight and the Pips - Heard It Through the Grapevine, Midnight Train to Georgia, If I Were Your Woman

Nina Simone - I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel to Be Free, Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood (the Animals hit), My Man's Gone Now (the Gershwins, from Porgy and Bess)

Stan Getz, tenor sax - Girl from Ipanema (Antonio Carlos Jobim, with Astrid Gilberto, vocals)
Gerry Mulligan, baritone sax - Wave (Jobim, with Jane Duboc, vocals)

Marcia Ball - Let the Tears Roll Down, I Have the Right to Know (both from her 2001 CD Presumed Innocent)

Miles Davis - Human Nature (from Michael Jackson's all-time best-selling album Thriller)

Diana Krall - Peel Me a Grape (Dave Frishberg), The Best Thing for You (Irving Berlin), Where or When (Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart)

Rolling Stones - Little Red Rooster (Willie Dixon), I Can't Be Satisfied (Muddy Waters), It's All Over Now (Bobby Womack)

Geoff Muldaur's Futuristic Ensemble - There Ain't No Man That's Worth the Salt of My Tears, Singin' the Blues (both with vocals by Martha Wainwright)

Elmore James, King of the Slide Guitar - Dust My Broom, It Hurts Me Too, Look on Yonder Wall, Rollin' and Tumblin'

No comments: