Sunday, August 23, 2009

A Little Bit of Broadway

Sister Act
A Divine Musical Comedy

We continue our look at musicals based on Hollywood films – this week, it’s a musical based on the 1992 film Sister Act. Playing right now at the London Palladium, reviews have mixed. Some liked the music – others didn’t. Some thought it was too faithful to the film, others not enough. Since I haven’t seen it, I can’t judge that, but I can say I miss the music of the film. What was a rather sweet fairytale now seems pretty brash. Judge for yourself……

Act I
Take Me To Heaven - Deloris, KT, LaRosa & Backups
Fabulous, baby! - Deloris, KT & LaRosa
Here Within These Walls - Mother Superior & Nuns
How I Got The Calling - Deloris, Mary Patrick, Mary Lazarus, Mary Robert & Nuns
When I Find My Baby - Shank, TJ, Bones, & Dinero
Do The Sacred Mass - Deloris, Mary Patrick, Mary Lazarus, Mary Robert & Barflies
I Could Be That Guy - Eddie & Transients
Raise Your Voice - Deloris, Mary Patrick, Mary Lazarus, Mary Robert & Nuns
Take Me To Heaven (Reprise) - Monsignor Howard, Deloris, Mother Superior, Mary Patrick, Mary Lazarus, Mary Robert, Nuns & Photographers

Act II
Sunday Morning Fever - Monsignor Howard, Deloris, Mother Superior, Eddie, TJ, Bones, Dinero, Nuns & Barflies
Lady In The Long Black Dress - TJ, Bones, & Dinero
Bless Our Show - Deloris, Mary Patrick, Mary Lazarus, Mary Robert & Nuns
Here Within These Walls (Reprise) - Mother Superior
The Life I Never Led - Mary Robert
Fabulous, Baby! (Reprise) - Deloris, Backups & Nuns
Sister Act - Deloris
When I Find My Baby (Reprise) - Shank
The Life I Never Led (Reprise) - Mary Robert
Sister Act (Reprise) - Deloris, Mother Superior, Mary Patrick, Mary Lazarus, Mary Robert & Nuns
Spread The Love Around - Mother Superior, Deloris, Mary Patrick, Mary Lazarus, Mary Robert, Nuns & Altar Boy

Deloris: Patina Miller
Mother Superior: Sheila Hancock
Shank: Chris Jarman
Sister Mary Robert: Katie Rowley Jones
Eddie: Ako Mitchell

Music Alan Menken
Lyrics Glenn Slater
Book Bill and Cherie Steinkellner
Basis 1992 film Sister Act

No comments: