Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Wednesday Crosscurrents 9/16

Host - John Gaguine

In memoriam - Ellie Greenwich, 1940-2009 - half of one of the great songwriting teams of the early 1960s, with her partner and later husband, Jeff Barry - she co-wrote all of the following:

Ronettes - Be My Baby
Shangri-Las - Leader of the Pack
Dixie Cups - Chapel of Love
Manfred Mann - Doo Wah Diddy
Greenwich - You Don't Know
Ike and Tina Turner - River Deep, Mountain High

In memoriam - Otha Young, 1943-2009 - songwriter and guitarist for Juice Newton from the 1970s on

Juice Newton - Queeen of Hearts, The Sweetest Thing I've Ever Known (written by Young)

In memoriam - Patrick Swayze, 1952 - 2009 - male star of Dirty Dancing

Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes - I've Had the Time of My Life (from the Dirty Dancing soundtrack)

James Talley, from his wonderful live album Journey - The Second Voyage - Little Egypt Land, Someone Who Loves You, Deep Country Blues - he wrote all of them

More songs from the Dirty Dancing soundtrack -
Patrick Swayze - who also co-wrote this song - She's Like the Wind
Eric Carmen - Hungry Eyes
Five Satins - In the Still of the Night
Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs - Stay

Leslie Gore - You Don't Own Me (on the Dirty Dancing soundtrack, but by someone else), Maybe I Know (Greenwich/Barry), Look of Love (same)

Patti Larkin - live - Tango, I Told Him that My Dog Wouldn't Run (both by Larkin)

Hot Tuna - live - San Francisco Bay Blues (Jesse Fuller), Ain't Got No Home (Woody Guthrie)

Eva Cassidy - Who Knows Where the Time Goes (Sandy Denny), Early Morning Rain (Gordon Lightfoot), If I Give My Heart (John Pennell, who wrote for Alison Krauss in her early days)

No comments: