Friday, October 23, 2009

Friday Soundings 10/23

Host - John Gaguine

Blood, Sweat and Tears - I Can't Quit Her (Al Kooper), I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know (Kooper), Just One Smile (Randy Newman) - all from BS&T's great first album, The Child is Father to the Man, released in 1968, the only one with Al Kooper, of Blues Project fame, who put the band together, wrote several songs, and sang lead vocals; he was ousted because it was decided his vocals were not good enough

Madeleine Peyroux - Dance Me to the End of Love (Leonard Cohen), You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (Bob Dylan), Weary Blues (Hank Williams)

J Street Jumpers - a fine swing group from the Washington, DC suburbs - Good for Stompin', You Let My Love Grow Cold, I Don't Hurt Anymore

Susan Tedeschi - Love Will (co-written by Tedeschi), Revolutionize Your Soul (same), There's a Break in the Road (Allan Toussaint)

Crystal Gayle - You Made Me Love You, Goody Goody, What'll I Do? (Irving Berlin), I'm Beginning to See the Light (Duke Ellington and others), More Than You Know

Blues Project, with Al Kooper - Goin' Down Louisiana (Muddy Waters), Cheryl's Going Home, I Can't Keep from Crying (Blind Willie Johnson), Fly Away (Kooper), Wake Me Shake Me (traditional)

Tony Bennett - When Joanna Loved Me, The Rules of the Road, My Favorite Things (Rodgers and Hammerstein, from The Sound of Music), A Foggy Day (Gershwins), I Left My Heart in San Francisco

Miles Davis - So What?

No comments: