Friday, August 5, 2011

Friday Soundings 8/5

Host - John Gaguine

In memory of Gene McDaniels, who passed away a few days ago:
Les McCann and Eddie Harris, Compared to What? (written by McDaniels, and recorded live in Switzerland in 1969)

On the anniversary of a wonderful love affair for me that unfortunately didn't last:
Michael Feinstein - Half of April (Most of May) (written by Feinstein and Bob Merrill, of Funny Girl fame), I'm a Dreamer, Aren't We all, Wasn't There a Moment (Jim Webb)

Roberta Flack - The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face, Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye (Leonard Cohen), Jesse (Janis Ian)

Charlie Parker (from the soundtrack of the Clint Eastwood film "Bird") - Lester Leaps in (Lester Young), Laura, Ornithology (Parker)

Nnenna Freelon - Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow? (Gerry Goffin/Carole King), It's You I Like (yes, the song from Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood, written by Fred Rogers)

Tony Bennett - When Joanna Loved Me, Moonglow (with k.d. lang), I Left My Heart in San Francisco

Pearl Django - Warm Valley (Duke Ellington), Black and Blue (Fats Waller and Andy Razaf)

Roberta Flack - Let's Stay Together (Al Green et al), Angel Eyes

Kim Nalley - from her Nina Simone tribute album - I Put a Spell on You (Screaming Jay Hawkins), I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel to be Free (Richard Lamb, Dr. Billy Taylor)

No comments: