Tuesday, April 16, 2013

A Little Bit of Broadway 4/14/13

With Sue B!

Featuring one of my favorite all-time Stephen Sondeim musicals: Company, paired with my favorite parody producer: Forbidden Broadway.

Company was a ground-breaking musical, new and modern when it premired in 1970. It was non-linear, instead focusing on vignettes of married couples and their relationships, tied together by their bachelor friend, Robert. Some describe the relationships, and the music cold and brittle, but there is such a current of gentle warmth, humor and fondness that holds it all together that I am moved every time I listen to or see this show.

Highlighted performers:
Robert: Dean Jones
Joanne: Elaine Stritch
Amy: Beth Howland
Sarah: Barbara Barrie
Marta: Pamela Myers
Kathy: Donna McKechnie

Forbidden Broadway tracks: Being Lupone; Company/Being Alive

Other Sondheim/ Forbidden Broadway pairings
America, West Side Story -- Chita/Rita, FB
Into the Woods --Into the Words, FB
I'm Not Worthy of Your Love, Assassins -- I'm Not Worthy of your Words, FB

Putting up Revivals, Stephen Sondheim Finale, FB

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please let me know if you're looking for a writer for your weblog. You have some really good posts and I believe I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd love to write some articles for your blog in exchange for
a link back to mine. Please shoot me an email if interested.
Thank you!

My weblog ... acoustic guitar a chord